Year-Round Landscape Irrigation Restrictions
As part of its Comprehensive Water Conservation program, the South Florida Water Management District has established a Year-Round Landscape Irrigation Rule under Chapter 40E-24, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.). This Rule calls for year-round and permanent landscape irrigation measures that designed to promote water conservation through the efficient use of water landscape (includes lawns) irrigation.
The Year-Round Landscape Irrigation Rule applies to all landscape irrigation from all water sources, including public or privately-owned water utility systems, private wells or private connections to surface water bodies (ponds, lakes, canals, etc.), with the following exceptions:
- Use of reclaimed water
- Athletic play areas (including golf courses, football, baseball, soccer, polo, tennis, and lawn bowling fields, and rodeo, equestrian, and livestock arenas)
- Agricultural operations (including nurseries) with District issued consumptive use permits
- Hand watering is allowed at any time provided the hose has a self-cancelling nozzle.
The City of Miramar is in the process of local adoption.
In general, NO watering of lawns and landscapes is allowed on Monday, Tuesday, and Fridays.
- Irrigation (watering) is never allowed during the day (10:00 am to 4:00 p.m.)
- Irrigation is allowed Wednesdays and Saturdays from 4:01 p.m. to 9:59 a.m. for odd-numbered addresses and Thursdays and Sundays from 4:01p.m. to 9:59 a.m. for even-numbered addresses.
New Landscaping, Sod or Other Plantings
- New landscaping can be watered without regard to restrictions on the first day it is installed.
- Landscaping that has been in place for 30 days or less can be watered on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and/or Sunday during the hours allowed for regular landscape irrigation.
- Landscaping that has been in place from 31 days to 90 days can be watered on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays during the hours allowed for regular landscape irrigation.
- Additional watering days can only be used to benefit new landscaping. An entire irrigation system zone may only be watered if it contains at least 50 percent new landscaping.