Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Posted on February 6, 2020 at 7:40 PM by Regina Roberts
Free & Inexpensive things to do in Miramar, FlORIDA
By Natasha N. Babulal, PR & Media Manager
1. Dance your stress away with a free Zumba class on the plaza at City Hall- join the exuberant group Thursdays from 6:00pm- 7:00pm.
2. Unwind with a free Yoga class every last Monday of the month at the Miramar Library from 5:30pm- 6:30pm. Don’t forget your yoga mat!
3. Stroll through the Ansin Art Gallery at the Miramar Cultural Center and check out the latest collection on display. https://miramarculturalcenter.org/567/Ansin-Family-Art-Gallery
4. Pack an old-fashioned picnic basket and a blanket and head to one of over 40 parks in the city. https://miramarparks.org/772/Parks-Facilities
5. Enjoy pool day with the kids at the East or West Aquatic Complex. The waterpark playgrounds will keep them entertained for hours while you relax. https://miramarparks.org/836/Swimming-Facilities
6. Attend one of the many free events put on by the City and elected officials. Check out the event calendar here: https://miramarfl.gov/#tabf3cc0b39-a5f5-4029-87f3-02a592fb38a9_0
7. Take a free conversation Spanish class (El Club Spanish) at the Miramar Library held weekly on Mondays from 6:00pm-7:30pm. https://www.broward.org/library/Pages/BranchDetails.aspx?branchInfo=24
8. Get out in nature and visit Snake Warrior Island. This 53-acre natural area is great for nature shots, bird watching or just to talk a walk. https://www.broward.org/Parks/Pages/Park.aspx?=34
9. Visit the Miramar Community Garden, located in Historic Miramar! The 7,400 sq. ft. garden is an award-winning “micro urban farm” where you can learn about growing fresh organic produce & healthy living! https://www.miramarfl.gov/501/Community-Garden
10. Grab a cup of coffee at Miramar Town Center, sit under the beautiful palm trees, enjoy our glorious weather and just people watch! You’re welcome.
Posted on January 9, 2020 at 6:35 PM by Regina Roberts
WAIT A SEC! BABYFACE IS COMING TO
THE MIRAMAR CULTURAL CENTER?
By Natasha N. Babulal (PR & Media Manager)
So I must admit that when I saw the great lineup of upcoming performances for the new season at MCC, I almost jumped out of my chair. Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds is coming to Miramar! I felt all warm and fuzzy inside thinking back to my teenage years when songs like Whip Appeal and Never Keeping Secrets were on constant rotation on the radio. Then just this past weekend, I got a text from friend saying she just got the MCC brochure and she really NEEDS to buy her tickets before they go on sale to the public. Sorry, friend. Tickets are already on sale and open to everyone! After seeing him perform 10 years ago, there was no way she was going to miss him especially right here in Miramar, where she’s called home for the past 15 years. With a hectic schedule like most of us, she’s always searching for things to do in Miramar instead of venturing too far outside of the city.
I asked my 19-year old daughter if she knew who Babyface was. Her response: “Yeah, he’s that guy that Mariah Carey sings about in her song We Belong Together.” I’m sorry, what? Ok, Babyface is best known for his classic songs composed and produced for other stars including Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Eric Clapton, Boyz II Men, TLC and many more artists, but he has a ton of hits himself! Remember Give U My Heart that he recorded with Toni Braxton for the soundtrack of Eddie Murphy’s film, Boomerang? How about When Can I See You, which earned him his first Grammy Award as an artist? His hits are way too many to mention and can send you on a long winding trip down memory lane.
Anyhow, his upcoming performance got me thinking about all my other friends I’ve been blowing off over the past few months because I haven’t had the time or energy to catch up. Can’t think of a better reason to call them up (ok maybe a text is more realistic) and make plans for a girl’s night out to see this legend perform. Sure, the performance is not until February 7th but that gives us a little time to lose a few pounds, get our outfits ready, re-learn all the lyrics to our favorite songs and daydream about old crushes.
Here are some songs you probably didn’t know Babyface wrote or produced:
10. “These Are The Times” by Dru Hill
Grab your tickets before they sell out. Be sure to check out all the other great shows coming to the Miramar Cultural Center. There is sure to be something else that brings out The Cool In You! www.Miramarculturalcenter.org